Monday, March 24

My Homemade Journal.

So my aunt showed my mom something so cool.
And then my mom showed me.
Now I'm showing you!

It's hard to explain how excited I get about nerdy things like books, new & old.
One day I will have my dream library. Like a Beauty & the Beast one.
Ty said I could.

But I'm not bragging about my future library right now.
I'm gonna brag about my new obsession my mama introduced me to.


My very own journal made from an old book. With sentimental value..
{this is not a tutorial. simply my step by step. take it how you will.}

I chose a book in one of my moms many bookcases.
She got out all of her stuff, the punch hole thingy, the bindings, paper etc...
And we started.

 Start with a book of your choice. This is mine.


 You need the Xacto knife to slice the front/back cover & pages from the spine.

Choose pages from the book to scatter in between your journal pages.
I picked the few pictures it had & some of the chapter title pages.
See that signature in the upper right hand corner? That is my mom's great grandmother's signature.
This was her book. Obviously I kept that page..

Slice up fresh pieces of paper & scatter them throughout the book pages.

The Zutter 'Bind it All' V 2.0

This is the hardest & trickiest part, takes a little time & patience.
You can only do so many pages at a time & depending how big you want your binding is how hard it will be.

Start the binding!

This picture was found in the book. Pretty sure it's from a magazine but my mom decoupaged it on a blank
page from the book & we stuck it in the back of my journal as the last page.
The spine of the book will be used as a bookmark inside the journal.

Et voila!

It looks old, shabby, dingy, the pages aren't perfect & I love it.
I will probably not use mine as a journal. I want it out for everyone to see!
Plus I'm just not a "journal" kinda gal.
So my mom suggested maybe a guest book for my home. Not a bad idea...

What do you guys think?!
You love too, right?
You want? My mom would totally make you one!
EMAIL ME for more info.

 photo EmilySignature_zps0043f664.png

16 comments :

  1. What a great idea and love it as a guest book. Love that it had your great grandmother's signature in it too and preserving it in the new book.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG what a fantastic idea! but damn, my heart contracted when i saw that xactoknife (how DO you spell that word?) in the spine of that book. it looks great!

    -kathy
    Vodka and Soda

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so cute! And I love the idea of using the spine as a bookmark!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have every right to brag about this, it's such an original and unique idea. And the sentimental value is so fab. In love.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you thank you thank you :-))) I'm in love too. Coolest thing I've ever done haha

      Delete
  5. This is incredible! Why did I not know about this sooner? Lol.

    ReplyDelete
  6. looks really cool when you talk about it! I need to get better so i can start selling these and get the money back from all those stupid supplies i bought...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. me tooooo! Loved seeing the process. So fun. xoxo

      Delete
  7. That's really awesome. Also, I friggin love you for wanting your own Beauty and the Beast style library. I got permission from mine to do it too, and I will have it damnit

    ReplyDelete
  8. WHOA. This is amazing. Seriously. I took a class once at Paper Source, and we used that Zutter thing (it was a different brand, though). And it took forever! I only had like 20 pages, too. I can imagine the effort that went into this! But the outcome is stellar. And it's YOURS. Like, no one else in the world has a journal like it. That's cool.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ok, I am completely gushing over your journal! But, do you own the binding machine? Have you heard of the #TEG30DayChallenge starting April 1st? It is an initiative started by @TheEveryGirl_ blog to journal each day in April. I think you should instagram your journal and use the # so they can see how awesome it is? P.S. I will be sure to tweet your project.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My mom owns it, yes! She's pretty handy to have around haha. I haven't heard of that1! Am I supposed to write a journal post for everyday?? Or can I skip days? I just don't think I'd have time to do EVERY day, but I'd for sure want to participate!! Thank you for sharing it with me! And THANK YOU so much for tweeting about it! Yay :-))

      Delete
    2. Moms do come in handy don't they! smile. As far as I know, it is about writing every day for the month of April. I know, not sure I can do this either, but I'm going to give it a try.

      Delete
  10. You can make me one as a belated birthday present. Whore ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I LOVE LOVE LOVE THIS! and Ive honestly told called Cameron into the room whilst beauty and the beast was on JUST to show in the library...what a beauty!

    ReplyDelete